Lock Farm began life in 1773 when the Louth Navigation Canal (in the foreground) was dug from Louth to the North Sea coast. The house was built as an inn, and the locks adjacent to the yard was a busy location for loading and unloading of freight.
Lock Farm from the road side in 1956. Mike said that his father began farming at Lock Farm in the early 1920’s and this was the home they they all grew up as children.
Methodist Chapel 1956, built in the 1840’s and in continuous use since then. It stands next to the village store which opened twenty years later. Across the street can be seen a small stuccoed cottage which is no longer there.
Wright’s Corner 1953 – Housing the shop of the local carpenter and wheelwright, Len Wright. He also operated a bike repair shop, already removed in this photo, and the local petrol pump. More information about the Wright family can be seen below from a second contribution.
The National Fire Service stood on the roadside next to the Bourne Building, thought to have been taken in the war years.
This is Mr John Wright at “The Elms” in his Ford Model T known as the Tin Lizzie.
George Leverton, Ivan’s Dad, stood somewhere near Janny’s house dated 1947.
White Barn Corner 1938. White Barn is part of the Shucksmith Farm and for the 1937 Coronation of King George VI and the 1945 war ending celebrations, in the absence of any local hall, the barn was cleaned out inside and painted, and with long tables set up, hosted lunch for all the local citizanry after the festivities and sports held in the field opposite.
Wright’s Wheelwrights Shop /Garage
Priory Row Cottages 1956
This is the Wright’s House “The Elms” at Alvingham, Louth. (Approx Date 1904)
Maud Wright(24), Mrs Wright (48), Grace Ameila Wright (15)
Ethel (Ett) (11 or 12), Leonard Wright (Len) (4), Sydney Wright (Syd)(7)
In the early 1900’s the Washdyke cottages got their name from the use of the River Lud that ran by them for washing sheep before shearing the wool. Mike’s Father grew up in the house as a boy.
Alvingham Village Hall 1956. When the army base built on Tom Shucksmith’s land during the war closed in 1945, most of the buildings were removed. This one, however, was kept and the property donated by the family to the village.
Trafford’s Store 1956, a mainstay in the village since the 1860’s until Bob’s retirement in the 1990’s. Bob Trafford is seen stood in the doorway.